Defining a Successful Disruptive Leader?
Being in a leadership position requires “value add”. In order to achieve this, one needs to be “constructively disruptive”, or in other words, become a Successful Disruptive Leader.
What is required to be one varies, however here are 3 key characteristics that every leader should focus on in order to be successfully disruptive.
- Don’t be afraid to shake things up to get the necessary results. Think of Jack Welsh, his leadership style and creative vision that overwhelmed GE’s success.
- DO NOT make decisions on the fly; you will lose sight of the long-term vision and goals, resulting in a lack of trust
- Continuous innovation is disruption in order to be ahead of the curve.
- Be SMART at what you do. The SMART model is an excellent base for identifying gaps for improvement.
- LISTEN before you act – you never know what others which might have may be of value to your business.
- Use the 1:1:1 principle once you have delivered your vision to the organisation.
- You will often come across individuals who “Buy” Into the Vision; “Uncertain but may believe in it” and “Do Not Buy into it”. Identify the right people for your organisation, who have the commitment to push through and deliver.